The Cardinals aren't "too good" for this. Monday, September 14, 2009

"We're definitely too good to be having these kind of performances," Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald said.

The 49ers beat the Cardinals 20-16 to kick off Mike Singletary's first full season as head coach. I'll admit I'm rooting for the 49ers this year. I like Mike Singletary. He'll never be the quality of coach that Mike Tomlin is, but he has the two essential ingredients of a good coach: a no-nonsense outlook and the willingness to work way harder than the other guy. Dare I say "Cowher-like"?

Meanwhile, Fizgerald's quote above makes me shake my head. That perspective isn't going to help the Cardinals win games. Just as the Steelers have resisted the idea that they're "defending" the championship, the Cards should not be looking to evidence of last year to evaluate their own team. A comment of, "We just need to work harder, fix mistakes, get better, try to win next week" would have been more appropriate.

Because I'm not so sure I believe Larry when he tells me how good the team that lost to San Francisco yesterday is. After all, they've got a "zero" in the win column.

0 comments: