Another One Bites the Dust Thursday, December 3, 2009

Just saw this on umasshoops.com: Hofstra just cut their football team.


Northeastern cutting football, while it did piss me off, was by no means a surprise. They were a terrible program which played on a high school field (Massachusetts High School, not Texas High School). Hofstra is a shock. I'm too shocked to be upset by it. That's two schools who dropped football in two weeks. Hofstra beat UMass at home their last game. While listening to it, I honestly thought to myself "Hofstra's only in Long Island. It'd be a hike but next time UMass plays there, I'm going." Now I guess I can't. Worse, there are now two schools (BU and Hofstra) who can claim they beat UMass in their final game as a program.

The CAA North is now without a full time CAA member. I'm extremely worried about the future of UNH, Maine, URI and especially UMass football. The four of us are all we got left, and I don't know that we (UMass) can trust them (the other three) to keep football. As a result, I don't know that I trust UMass to keep football.

I never make signs, but I fully planned on bringing a huge one to Matthews Arena (home of NU hockey) January 10th saying "WE HAVE FOOTBALL!" or something to that extent. I don't know how true that statement will be then.

I hope I'm overreacting.

EDIT: UMass AD John McCutcheon says the football program is safe. I emailed him before reading this asking what we could do to ensure it's safety. I encourage all other UMass fans (and Steeler fans...we did give you Mark Whipple) to do the same. Here's the email address:
jmccutch@admin.umass.edu

0 comments: